DJI make a lot of great products. I have to admit I’m a fan. Firstly full disclosure that I am not sponsored by them at this point in time, although it would be nice but I spent my own money to buy the Osmo Mobile. Why? Because I had been waiting for a good stabliser for my phone as I shoot lots of video with my iPhone 6. There are some stablisers out there but they just don’t look or do the job well.
- It was hard to balance as the tiny ball head based bracket requires micro adjustments to balance. You need to have lot of patience till you get it right.
- If and when you do get it stablised, when you start walking the phone will catch the wind due to your movement and start to sway or turn.
- Which means that fast paced movements or running is totally out of the question.
I ended up selling the stabliser. Never got any decent footage with it.
There are some ebay or amazon products that offer motorised stablisation for you GoPro or Smartphone but just don’t look like good quality products. This is my opinion and for the asking price they advertise I wasn’t ready to invest.
But when DJI bring out the device, you know straight away that its a great product. DJI are like the Apple of Drones and Gimbal based products. If you’ve owned anything they’ve made, you’d know this already.
So let’s begin, the product arrives in an awesome packaging that is nothing short of impressive. The standard items in the packaging include:
- DJI Osmo Mobile Gimbal
- Intelligent Battery
- Power cable (USB to 3.5mm Jack)
- Wrist Strap
- Rosette Protection Cap
- Carrying Pouch
- Instruction Manuals
You open the box and the new product smell hits you and ahhh!!
The packaging has a peculiar design once you remove the outer white box. You think you are opening it the correct way but its upside down. Anyways DJI Osmo Mobile is secured nicely in the foam padding.
First step is to read the manual as it contains a quick start guide to get you up and running quickly.
- Charge the battery using the provided cable and any USB port
- Install your phone into the gimbal and ensure that the phone sits levelled. Adjusting and getting that balance should only take a couple of minutes
- Fire up the DJI Go app and connect your Osmo Mobile with your Smartphone.
- And you are ready to go
Osmo Mobile is a great gadget to have in your gear as its easy to use and let’s you capture awesome video that are stable and cinema quality. With the new iPhone 7 that shoots 4K video it will be even an amazing combo. I can’t wait to try this with the latest iPhone, I will do another post once I upgrade to it.
In the meantime, check out my video that I posted on Youtube showing the DJI OSMO Mobile and some sample footage.